I am now in St. Bernard (it's not Violet, actually) and today we met with our sponsors and drove around the 9th ward, Musician's Village, and the area where Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt built houses. We also saw the community center we will be working on and converting into a NCCC home for Hope Has a Face.
Facts I learned in videos we watched last night during Camp Hope's orientation:
-47 squared miles of St. Bernard had betwen 2 and 28 ft of water because of the levees breaking
-From June '06 to January '07 - over 2000 houses were gutted
-Camp Hope was originally called Camp Permire and it was FEMA contracted
-In August of 2007 Camp Hope moved to the middle school, where it is now and was renovated by past NCCC members
-the school had over 6 ft. of water in it
Yesterday after we packed and said our goodbyes to Camp Victor, we drove all the way to St. Bernard, unpacked, worked on our portfolio and debriefing project, and then went into the city and walked around...ate some beignets at Cafe Du Monde again! The same people that were playing in front of the Cafe I was there over spring break were there again. I talked to one of them and they said they come to that location basically everyday.... It was also Julia's 20th birthday, so we went to a Mexican type restaurant for dinner and I had portobello mushroom quesadillas. Amazing!
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment