Friday, February 8, 2008

Week one!

After a sleepless night from my travels back from Wooster and many hours spent on a plane, I am finally here! Day five of living in the little campus of Teikyo Loretto Heights University in Denver. There are close to 300 of us members in this region and living in one big dorm. Our region also includes 36 team leaders and four unit leaders. Everyone living on my hall is in my unit, Water. The other three are fire, sun, and earth. So far we have been going through in-processing, which really just includes paperwork and class-like lectures; got our uniforms and steel-toed boots, and I actually had a chance to walk around campus and take some great pictures of the Rockies! We are being put on temporary teams until our final teams are chosen on Feb. 22. My roommates' name is Gina and she is from Boston who recently graduated from college too. I've met five other people here who live outside of Chicago, and three are actually in my unit. I even played probably the biggest catch phrase game ever on the first night with at least 20 people. A couple nights a bunch of us went to 4G's Mexican Restaurant, which is no longer than a five minute walk from our dorm. Tomorrow we have our driving test with the vans for those of us who choose to drive, and yes since I was a pro at driving the mini-bus this summer, I will be taking part of that. Today we were put with our second temporary team and had a chance to venture downtown and walk around on 16th street. I am assuming all of us will be checking the night life out tomorrow night once we are finished with training! All the people I have met have been very outgoing and just so excited to start spiking out and working! I know for a fact that one of our projects will be in the Gulf Coast. We do get two one week breaks during our 10-month commitment, but it is due to change if we are called in for disaster relief. Hope everyone is enjoying they're time back home! Miss you all!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Baron I love you! I am so excited for your adventure and love that you are keeping an online journal! Why didn't I do that for Australia?!?! xoxo Have fun!

BikerChick said...

Katy

This is great! I'm looking forward to seeing how your experience with Americorps goes! Good luck and keep posting. We're thinking of you here at Woo.

Katy Baron said...

Wow I just read this three years later...spelling error , in that last sentence I mean "their" lol....