Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Saws, Steel Toed Boots, and Drillin' in Nails


Yesterday we were stuck in the auditorium all day learning about the Red Cross and they're disaster relief program. A little boring, but our PT yesterday was ultimate Frisbee, which my team dominated. However, today was awesome! We learned how to use circular hand saws and built book shelves today with our temporary team (WATER 6) They will be later donated to the "House of Hope." I forget what that is because I was unable to visit it during isolation week (while I was sick). I was the first in the group to saw the first shelving notch (I think that's what it's called) and ate a lot of saw dust, but I felt pretty cool for finally getting some hands-on work experience rather than being stuck in a classroom all day. The measuring was probably the most frustrating because after cutting with the saw, they weren't completely accurate, but in the end, surprisingly, all four shelves ended up being perfectly level! We worked from 8-12a.m., broke for lunch, and then continued from 1:30 to 3:30p.m. We were the last group to finish, but ended up getting second place out of the other 6 teams. On the back of the shelf we signed our names and made hand prints in paint. Our team leader, Nick, asked us to designate a leader during the whole project (or the foreman), so this one guy, Jeremy, who just graduated from high school, took the lead and did a really good job. Everyone participated, had fun, and worked well together. I hope my final team works as well as we all did today. For PT today we played kick ball! So funny, part of me feels like I'm back in middle school sometimes with all the games we play, but everyone has such a good attitude about things, that nothing we do is ever really a drag. It was kind of chilly today so I didn't try running again in the mile-high city, but I found some field hockey sticks in the back closet and hit around a bit with a plastic ball. It was about the same size of a regular ball, just a whole lot lighter, which was probably for the best because I think I might have broken some windows on the side of our dorm. So far everything is great. The shower's aren't as blasted freezing as they were the first week. I am only bummed about my huge blister I have on one of my ankles from attempting to look decent one weekend by not wearing sweats and gym shoes and wearing flats. I am having trouble trying to upload pictures on here using the internet we have in the library, but I am able to load some on facebook for those who have that.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Too bad about the blisters. I didn't think you would get them from partying. love, Mom

Lindsey said...

Just wanted to say hey. Great reading your blog, I love reading about what you're up to. Hope you're having a great time.