Saturday, September 13, 2008

CALLED ON DISASTER-HURRICANE IKE

For the last week I have been living and working in Chattanooga, TN. I have been working with the Cumberland Trail Conference with our sponsor Tony and a former NCCC member, Alex. They are great and the project has been a lot of fun. So far we have been doing trail reconstruction and this Monday we were suppose to start building fiber glass bridges, HOWEVER, my team just got called on disaster relief because of Hurricane Ike and the huge damage in Texas. SO the last couple hours have been stressful because I just flew out last night into to Chicago and drove to Munci, IN this morning with Drew to make it to his brother's wedding, which isn't even until tomorrow afternoon because it is a Jewish wedding! Sundays! AHH So I am just walking into his brother's fiance's home to meet all the family and I get the call from Ben basically saying I need to get back to TN asap! Ahh so flights really wont work otherwise my family would have to spend a lot to fly me back tomorrow, missing the whole wedding. So Drew and I have opted to leave the wedding early tomorrow night and drive the 8 hrs all the way down to TN! So here is the beginning of the sleepless days. I have the feeling I might be working long hours at a shelter anyways.....things are definitely heated now...and we are flying into Dallas sometime Monday morning, I have yet to find what time. All I can say is AHHH! I need a cock tail because the last week has almost driven me crazy...not to mention both my flights yesterday into Chicago were delayed. However I did sit next to a 12 year old kid on the plane who was from Ocean Springs, where I lived first round! I know I need to keep reminding myself, this is what I signed up for, it's not about me. I am excited to go and help on disaster, I just hope I am put to good use unlike some other disaster teams I've heard of....I am bummed about leaving TN because it will be absolutely gorgeous there once the leaves start changing and I was really excited about the project! But whatever I can do to help! I hope we can get a lot done in a short amount of time in hope that we can be sent back to TN....Wow this was really scattered all over the place, but that is how my brain in functioning right now. I am just going to try to enjoy tonight's rehearsal dinner and get good sleep so I am up and atom tomorrow!

Until then..who knows when I'll be able to write again....

1 comment:

katie said...

wow intenseness! i imagine by now you are all settled down in texas somewhere. does not sound nearly as plesant as daily river swims and beautiful leaves, but youre right obvi they need your help. hope things are good! <3 hayes