Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Disaster Call, loose four teammates, finish first project!
It's Wednesday and Hurricane Dolly has hit South Padre and Brownsville, Texas. Four of our teammates, Andy, Carrie, Mandy and Liz were the top ranked disaster for this round on our team and were picked up yesterday and driven to Denver. They flew out sometime this afternoon to San Antonio as well as one of our other unit teams to stage for the hurricane. I know it got up to a Type 2 and winds were up to 120, but after it has hit land it has gone down to a 1 and I'm not exactly sure of the damage...I've just been getting frequent text message notices from Drew who actually has a computer at hand! I'm at the library now. I hope the hurricane isn't had and that my teammates get to come back. It was really weird today not having them here, especially since I'm close to the three girls that had to leave! So yea we are all a bit bummed about it. But, today we finished working on the gully! It's completed! So we went to a different gully and worked on that for a little bit. We did a lot of EC matting (Erosion Control) where we lay down grass seed, bio sol (sp?) and put this blanket like stuff over it so that the seeds don't get washed away. Today was my first time actually driving down the peak! I'll be driving up to it after some of our teammates finish he their laundry, etc. Of course I go straight to the computer. Anyways, the project has been going well. Tomorrow some of my teammates from Round 1 and 2 will be visiting with their SOS teams and leader. I think Jerry and Jess are on it at least. So that will be exciting. Yesterday we also drove up to the peak as soon as we heard that our teammates had to picked up for disaster, got a picture and a donut and enjoyed the amazing view. When the SOS (Summer of Service) kids come tomorrow we will also be going back up to the peak with them. I believe that includes 10 corps members and 30 SOS kids. Friday Eric has a cool hike and some surprise set up for us. I'm assuming it's food! Yay! So much for that. I'm dirty, haven't showered since Sunday and pretty much neither has the rest of my team! You sure do get used to it. At least we don't sweat as much...as much as I had been sweating in New Orleans....that would be a different story! Ha! Ciao Ciao!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment