Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another year older...

Yes yes I just turned 23 last Friday. Weiiiiirdd! Time sure does fly by. Anywho, my birthday mostly consisted of work, which was passing rocks in a line into piles that eventually reached the gully. All day that's all we did was move one big piles of rocks to the next to the next. By the end of the day we were all so looney, even our sponsors, but we had quite a lot of laughs and were happy it was Friday. These weeks seem so long when you wake up so early and go to bed by 9pm! Then we had to pack up our campsite, which took a couple hours, drive to our site for the weekend, and then some of us went out for fast food because we were too tired to cook. So I mean kind of an uneventful birthday, but oh well. The team got me a big cookie though and sang happy birthday at our site as well as giving me a bag of s'mores goodies, a funny bird hat, some hair clips...of course, and some candy. So that was thoughtful. Apparently Mandy and Carrie were going to wake me up early that morning, but just couldn't force themselves to do it once they were up. It's hard getting out of your sleeping bag in the morning when its 30 degrees, that's for sure. We also got to go on a really cool hike Thursday morning/afternoon to this cave and old mining area led by Ranger Barbra. She told us a bunch of crazy stories about people getting struck by lightning on the summit, etc. Next weekend we plan on actually making it up there! Some people want to hike it..I haven't made up my mind yet. This Wednesday Eric is going to take us on a cool hike!

So it really hasn't been too bad living in the woods so far because we do have bathrooms, water, and a hot water spout for washing dishes. However, next half of the project when we are in the Sangres building a campsite from scratch we will have water brought to us and have a WAG BAG as our toilet..which basically means a bucket with a seat on it that we'll probably have to empty every day. GROSS! I really dread that part..oh and we have solar showers. It's a bag that we will with water and leave in the sun all day long. Andrew and I have been the only people to use it so far, and it wasn't too bad. Good thing I cut my hair right before this project! We will also be at 9,000 ft. for the second half of the project so it will be warmer! It's pretty cool taking a shower outside though, I'm not going to lie. I use the tree branches as my towel hanger..ha.

Well on with the pictures, they speak better than words..oh and I have a lot of them!

No comments: